What I love about New York is its food. They have the best pizza, the best apple pie and the most expensive dessert in the world.
Did you know that New York was called “Big Orange” briefly before it was called the “Big Apple“?
My fascination of NYC grew more after I watched the very first season of FRIENDS, the popular TV show. I love New York and everything about it. There is never a dull moment when you visit New York. All New Yorkers may not feel so but if you are a tourist, I recommend book an apartment on Air BnB and stay for atleast a month. Take your own sweet time to explore this magical city.
Here are 5 reasons why you shouldn’t miss New York:
1. Popular Attractions: New York has all the attractions that you have seen on TV, pictured you would click a selfie at and planned on visiting ever since you were a kid.
Statue of Liberty and Battery Park, the Empire State Building, the park you know from FRIENDS – Central Park, America’s theatre district – Broadway and Shubert Alley, the MET – Metropolitan Museum of Art, Rockefeller Center (remember 30 Rock?), Brooklyn Bridge – world’s 1st steel bridge, Chrysler Building, New York Public Library – holds 10,000 current magazine and the list goes on and on.
2. The Neighbourhoods: The five boroughs:
- The Bronx and
- Staten Island have a lot of interesting neighbourhoods within them.
You may not have a lot of time on your hands but remember to visit all of these areas as that is when you can truly say you have been all around New York.
3. The Street Art: If you like art, NY will delight you. The city’s neighbourhoods and university areas are covered with street art and graffiti and if you are a fan you are bound to love something. In Brooklyn visit Troutman Street at Saint Nicholas Avenue, Moore Street between Seigel Street and White Street, Kent Avenue and Grand Street and Wythe Avenue and North 15th Street for some really beautiful street art. In Manhattan, you can find great art in Between Canal and Grand Streets.
4. The Waterfront: There is always so much to do in NYC that you can very easily forget that Manhattan is an island. Find a window where you can savour the view of New York’s amazing waterfront whilst sipping on a glass wine and you will be in seventh heaven. There are many restaurants the new york like Grand Banks – Oyster Bar, River Café, The Water Table, Boat Basin Café, World Yacht Fish Bar, Pier A Harbor House, etc.
5. The Food: The people in New York are just like me when it comes to food, they love everything supersized. The portion sizes are huge and the food is rich and decadent. But that’s not all. New York has top of the line fine dining Michelin star restaurants and Michelin star chefs cooking meals that you can eat to believe.
- Chef’s Table at Brooklyn Fare, César Ramirez.
- Eleven Madison Park, Daniel Humm.
- Jean-Georges, Jean-Georges Vongerichten.
- Le Bernardin, Eric Ripert.
- Masa, Masa Takayama.
- Per Se, Thomas Keller.